We all know the strongest friendships are formed backstage in the greenroom before a show, where bands connect with other bands divulging their deepest, darkest secrets and posing the weirdest, mind-meltingest hypothetical questions.
Following their show at Black Bear Lodge last week, we got together with Brisbane alt-rockers Mecha Mecha and Trails for a sincere look into those powerful backstage deep and meaningfuls. Let the banter of the bands begin…
MECHA MECHA GRILL TRAILS
Read Q+A: Mecha Mecha Grill Trails
- How did you fellas come up with the name Trails?
At the time when we formed, our music was quite windy and progressive, and we felt Trails was an appropriate fit, leaving the interpretation vague and mysterious but also hopefully memorable.
- Chem trails… Are they real?
We’re still too wrapped up in the conspiracy that John Cena is actually Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg’s illegitimate love child… All in good time!
- What sets apart the Brisbane music scene from the rest of the country?
We’re like the little scene that could! Brisbane isn’t too big of a city, so you tend to get to know a lot of the bands and people in the scene through various gigs and chance meetings. Being a little bit more snug means more inclusiveness, I feel. Plus. there’s a shit tonne of excellent bands!
- If you had one shot, one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?
I would still be eating Mom’s spaghetti… Just saying.
- Tyler (lead singer), if you could choose one member of Trails to kiss, one to marry, and one to kill…. Who would they be and why?
I’d kiss our bassist, Alex; he is Italian and would most likely have spaghetti and oil soaked into his skin, so it would be delicious. I’d marry Dan our guitarist, we live together already, so we’re halfway there, and I’d kill myself because some marketing reps think it’ll really take our brand to the next level!
- If your sound was a type of food. What would it be? Trail mix?
I’d say more of a spicy bhuja, mixed with dried peas, mixed with trail mix, mixed with some variety of spreadable cheese, stuffed inside a chicken, stuffed inside a duck, stuffed inside a turkey, stuffed inside a big, stuffed inside a bear, stuffed inside a sperm whale, and then lovingly glazed with honey and spices.
- Do you guys have any merch at the moment?
Sure do! Got some pretty special new shirts that we’ll be selling at the single launch! They’re the old design but its back by popular demand! You’ll have to see them in the flesh at the show!
- Is two Trails puns too many?
No way, mate! Rail on Trails til you get sent to jail! It works without fail!
- Your new single IOU is super rad! How does Trails go about writing?
Our current format is very democratic! Tyler and Dan will bring ideas into the band and we work on it and finish it together. Everyone gets to put their stamp on it. Then, we’ll add additional textures to the track and mix it up sonically, so there’s a bit of difference between how the song sounds recorded and performed live.
- What do you think is a really good question to ask a band?
This is a two-part answer. First question – how many litres of gravy can you drink in 60 seconds? Second question – prove it?!
TRAILS GRILL MECHA MECHA
Read Q+A: Trails Grill Mecha Mecha
- Describe your sound without using the letter ‘E’?
Oh my. That’s a tough ask. Vocals, guitar, bass, violin and piano. Our music is so phat, your shirt and pants will go away!
- You guys use strings and other classical influences in your sound which is awesome! What was your basis for including that as an integral part of your music?
Walter and Angelo’s father Brett Webb played trombone for Sydney Youth Orchestra and the ABC Concerto. Those guys have been around classical music their whole lives, and I’ve been a violin nerd since I was 6. So, I guess it bleeds in from a few directions.
- Your artwork for the new EP ‘Blink & You’ll Miss It’ is very colourful and cool. What was the inspiration behind it and who came up with the idea?
The artwork was Walter’s idea. It’s his way of freaking out homophobic people by putting a dudes face on front and sweet lady booty on the back. Tricks the mind, and we made them red people because body paint is heckin’ awesome.
- Full English breakfast or smashed avo on sourdough with pepita seeds and dukkah?
Easy, I’d like a house someday so, no smashed avo for me! Full English breakfast all the way, although I do love them tasty tasty dukkah and Vegemite sandwiches?
- How much money would it take for you to smoke Donald Trump’s toupee?
Fifty eight pound thirty. It’s a very specific amount because I have specific needs. I doubt it would catch fire it’s said to be made of gold and broken souls.
- Could God microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Well sure, of course. He could, but then again… wow, as melon scratchers go, that’s a honey doodle.
- You’re offered a headlining spot at Falls Festival. The catch; you must play the shows with ex-Broncos and Maroons legend Alfie Langer on carious percussive instruments, and he refuses to learn the songs beforehand stating that, “In the moment, I always know what to do, mate.” Do you play the show?
Yes, Alfie has proved himself as a trustworthy team member. A bloody magnificent striker of objects and has over 20 years experience performing on a pretty massive stage. So, I’d like to think we would give him a chance.
- You guys are playing of your first Brisbane headlining shows this Thursday, but you’ve been actively gigging through regional Queensland for a while. What were those shows and life on the road like?Regional Queensland shows are heaps of fun for us. They can be interesting at times, but always rewarding. You learn a lot about your band mates musically and personally on the road. Plus it makes you a much better driver!
- If you were only able to listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
I’m 100% sure we would all have different answers but I’m gonna have to go with Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ ‘Blood Sugar Sex Magic’. Because that album is such a big part of me. But, as Mecha Mecha, I would say a mix of CD of Primus, Royal Blood and Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
- Why are two Mecha’s better than one?
Well, you don’t just have one hand; that would make you a pirate, and if Johnny Depp taught us anything it was that being a pirate is a fairly rough life filed with loneliness and scurvy. Mecha’s are kinda like pants, they come in pairs. Mecha’s are like good waffles… They stick together.