A concept album that focuses on love in an apocalyptic world, Post-Apocalyptic Love Songs recounts tales of death, mistakes, helplessness, and thoughts of how to start again once the world ends.
So, we asked the man himself, just exactly what he would do if the world were to end…
Q1. It’s the last day before the apocalypse comes and the world ends. How do you spend your last 24 hours on earth?
I would try to find as many people as I could who I love and bring them all together to watch the sunset. I suspect the apocalypse sunsets are spectacular. We would put on some music and have a drink. That is if there is any electricity or alcohol left…
Q2. There’s a zombie apocalypse coming and you’re in charge of assembling a team to fight them off. Which five fictitious characters do you recruit for your zombie-fighting team and why?
- Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead – he has what it takes, the compassion and the grittiness to get things done. Probably Michonne from The Walking Dead too, as they are a team.
- Wash from Firefly – we all need a laugh in harsh times and someone who is a good pilot.
- Lexa from The 100. She is badass and a good leader.
- Admiral Adama from Battlestar Galactica. He is wise and cool. And he is the only one on this list who is played by someone I have had my arm around.
Q3. Authorities have found a way to put together an indestructible time capsule to put mementos of our world in before it ends, that will hopefully make its way into the hands of the next life form to inhabit earth. What five things would you put in the time capsule?
- Robert Johnson’s guitar
- A kitten
- My guitarist Chris Bancroft so he can make coffee for the new world (he is very good)
- A hammer because I think that could be useful
Q4. You’re given a one-way ticket to a planet of your choice to inhabit once earth ceases to exist. Which planet do you choose to spend the rest of eternity on and who do you take with you?
The Planet of Chocolate, with Coffee Rivers.
Q5. If you were to perish in the apocalypse, which five musicians would you hope to meet in the afterlife and why?
- Harmonica player Little Walter – because I have studied his harmonica licks so many times and I can’t get enough of him.
- Slide guitarist Ry Cooder – he is a phenomenal musician and songwriter, and my slide guitar hero.
- The banjo player Dock Boggs – I find him a fascinating figure whenever I read about him and I would like to know more.
- Aretha Franklin – her voice blows my mind.
- Rhiannon Giddens – she seems like an extremely intelligent person who probably knows the land as well as she knows music and is a contemporary so I imagine it would be easier for me to be friends with her than the others.